Friday 9 January 2009

A Game of Balance


It has been a long time since I have posted a blog. There has been a lot that has been going on and a lot of things that needed to be sorted out in my life. And my body and mind really needed some rest.

I left a really horrible job last August - the kind of job where the boss runs the place like it's his or her own little empire, breaking laws and threatening employees left, right and center. And to make matters worse, most of those who were hired were either young, or had no working experience (ie - new mothers who had spent many years at home), or a combination of both. I was able to find a better job and move on towards the end of the summer. But I had spent two years at this former job, and needed to both get used to a new job (with new expectations), shake off the bad experiences that I had been experiencing before, and renew my relationships with both my husband and my children, which had been strained the last year or so due to stress.

I needed to take care of my mind and body. I had decided that while I would start exercising, I wouldn't actually change my diet too much. I do eat a lot of fruits, veggies and healthy food. The problem however was that I was also greatly addicted to chocolate and coffee (and chips on occasion). However coming from a low point, I decided to continue to indulge myself in these treats on a *reasonable level* until Christmas. This I have done.

Now Christmas is over, and to be really honest, I'm really tired of the coffee and chocolate. I also am a lot stronger than I was back in September, when I started my new job. As the days go by, I am exercising more and eating less junk. I am having less desire for the things that got me through the days before. It happens that I make myself my first cup of coffee in the evening, and then throw half of it out because it just doesn't taste as good as it did a couple of months ago.

I'm exercising, usually, 3 days in a row with one day's rest. When I started exercising in September (which was only maybe twice a week), I found it incredibly hard to burn more than 150 calories in 30 minutes - and I was on the lowest level of my elipse machine. The last few weeks I've been burning 300 - 350 calories in just under 30 minutes. It's amazing. And this evening I hit a new record: after a day's rest, I have worked out for 35 minutes, and have burnt 410 calories.

It's not often I stun myself.

9 comments:

Chichiboulie said...

congratulations to you and your "new lease on life"! Sometimes it takes hitting a real low point to make us realise that things need to change. I'm glad to see you're coming out the stronger for it.

ingermaaike said...

Body and mind are strongly entwined, once you get your mind round something the body will follow. Great going!

karuski said...

It sounds really good what's happening in your life right now! I believe it must have been difficult times at your former job but better times are ahead. Keep the good spirit up:)

minna

Apol said...

oh, i love these moments of conscious change! good luck, nicole!

StaroftheEast said...

Great that you have been having so much improvements in your life, hope they'll continue!

Sigmosaics said...

big congratulations Nicole .. that's wonderful that you are finding your balance in life!! Continued success :)

andee said...

Congrats, that's a great success already, and it sounds like you are feeling tons better!

Arctida said...

Keep up the good work, Nicole! You are on the right way and congrats on the positive changes in your life :)

Malene said...

Very impressive, Nicole! Congratulations and keep it up!